Street medics and wellness workers from Chicago and across the U.S. invite you to attend a conference -- *Spreading the Health* – to help build a grassroots health and wellness movement for social changes!
Healthcare workers and wellness workers provide critical support to direct action and social change movements – keeping people well so they can stay involved. From acting as street medics in large mobilizations to providing more continuous care at long-term encampments, such as Occupy, there is a growing movement of wellness work with a healing justice lens, a movement that includes healthcare professionals, community activists, alternative practitioners and others.
*Workshops and events from May 4th to May 13th*
*Location: First Lutheran Church of the Trinity in Bridgeport and other Chicago venues
- advanced first aid skills
- setting up
- running improvised clinics
- crisis management
- public health at long-term actions
- herbal medicine and acupressure
- radical mental health perspectives
- preventing and responding to mental health crisis, sexual assault and substance abuse
- healing burnout and managing stress and trauma.
This is conference is for:
- new and experienced street medics
- Community Based Organizations, Activists, organizers and healers of all modalities and all walks of life who wish to build skills and community around health and healing justice
- people with or without healthcare backgrounds interested in developing skills related to medical support, health and wellness care in social change work
- people who have stepped up to run medical support at Occupy actions across the country
- people who want to support the Chicago Spring / NATO protests actions
Come to the whole conference or select the workshops and events that
Trainings offered will include:
- a complete 20-hour street medic training
- an 8-hour bridge training for healthcare professionals
- a first aid training for affinity groups
Check out spreadingthehealth.org
for registration and updated information on workshop schedules, or to get involved.
This conference is being organized by health activists from Chicago Action Medical (Chicago’s collective of street medics), the Chicago Healing
Justice Network and street medic collectives throughout the country.
Refocus the Frame: Turning the Lens on Race and Racism - May 10
The Facilitating Racial Equity Collaborative kicks off new Film & Discussion series on May 10!
Refocus the Frame: Turning the Lens on Race and Racism
A series of powerful film screenings followed by facilitated discussion, to stimulate insight and and thoughtful dialogue. The films will be free and open to the public. Popcorn and door prizes, too!9500 Liberty
documents the first time in U.S. history that an Arizona-style immigration law was actually implemented—and the surprising grassroots opposition that led to its repeal.
May 10, 2012, 7-9 pm (Doors open at 6:45)
Location: Intermedia Arts, 2822 Lyndale Ave. S. in Minneapolis
The Great Republic of Rough and Ready at Union Hall - May 10
GRRR will perform at Union Hall to celebrate the release of a brand new (and gorgeous) record by their friends Racing Heart. This is a big venue and a big show conveniently located in Park Slope, so come listen to what they have to say, play some bocci upstairs, and enjoy. This might be your only chance to see GRRR perform this spring! It will be a memorable night.
THE GREAT REPUBLIC OF ROUGH AND READY
702 Union Street at 5th Avenue (Brooklyn)
Apply to Volunteer in the 2012 Allied Media Conference Healing Justice Practice Space
We are still seeking volunteers to be "Space Keepers" for the Healing Justice Practice Space. Space keepers will manage the sign up sheet and maintain a safe space, support the healers in their practice, ensure access to the space for attendees, and help to troubleshoot other issues as they arise. They will also need to be able to answer questions about different healing modalities and other offerings of the space.
If you are interested, please fill out an application here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFlpSm9aR0g3TmRKbk1lV1FER210Unc6MQ#gid=0
What is the Healing Justice Practice Space?
The Healing Justice Practice Space will provide individual and collective healing, with the goal of creating and sustaining an environment of wellness and safety for conference participants. The space will welcome the contributions of volunteers who are interested in or are practitioners of various medicine and healing arts, including (but not limited to): crisis counseling, herbalism, reiki, massage, acupuncture, yoga, energy and bodywork, dance/movement, art therapies, etc.